Thursday, April 18, 2013

I've been known to have a tipple now and then

I need more of these in my life. Sadly, A is becoming older, wiser and more responsible. I need a companion, a sidekick. Someone who'll direct me towards my apartment at the end of a long night drinking.


Back in the day when I was looking to move out of home and into a shared flat I went and inspected two properties prior to finding the place I ended up living in. The first place was in Carlton. A gorgeous residence inhabited by a professor ... and his cat. Unfortunately I am allergic to cats so that wasn't to be. The second was in St Kilda with a young structual engineer who I felt a sense of comfort with almost immediately. But because I travelled a lot between Brisbane and Melbourne for work at the time he ended up choosing the other applicant. I didn't take it personally, but we got along so well during that first meeting we decided we needed to catch up and go out as he was relatively new to Melbourne and didn't know too many people.

We ended up meeting for casual drinks and a bite to eat at The Station Hotel in Windsor. What became of that night was possibly one of the best non-dates I've ever been on. Basically we sat at the bar and told the bartender or "mixologist" as he wankily referred to himself as and let him put together all kinds of concoctions until we could barely see straight. It was like being at the mercy of a sushi chef only he was imbibing us with alcohol not food until we couldn't handle any more.

As classy as we kept ourselves in the setting of the bar, it soon fell to bits on Chapel Street where we went from club to club dancing badly and "refreshing" ourselves with vodka sodas.

From there we ended up in a small upstairs lounge on King St where I ran into and introduced him to old school friends and thought it would be an even greater idea to order Long Island Iced Teas.

Let's just say I did not make it home that night but instead found myself on the couch of my ex-school friend and upon waking was delighted to discover that Dominos began delivering their pizzas from 11am.

Sadly, my new friend ended up moving back to Perth after his contract was up and I have never met anyone since who could match me drink for drink over the course of an evening. But perhaps a I need to lure a girlfriend out to Fog so we can plant ourselves at the bar and indulge in what the bartenders have to offer. It'd be interesting to taste the difference in quality and style.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! Great that you can drink a boy under the table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possibly that pesky Polish heritage on my grandmother's side that makes me an expensive drunk.

      Delete