Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The first birthday flop

In exactly one month it'll be Z's second birthday. We've decided to make it a family affair again this time and so because the Sydney relo's have already organised to come down we better make it somewhat worthwhile for them.

Z's first birthday was a disaster. I thought I'd be clever and outsource everything. But the food was pretty much the only thing that went off without a hitch.

Basically, I overslept that morning after staying up all night making stupid tissue paper pom pom party decorations and didn't have time to ice the cake. We invited way too many people because we thought it'd be awkward for just our families to be together as they're not the most social people. We forgot to sing Happy Birthday or get a birthday cake. Z ended up sleeping for 1.5 hours of her 2 hour long birthday.

(Z just before passing out.)

Thankfully the decorations were awesome. Lots of posies from a florist in Armadale, pussy willow branches covered in ivy and silver balls from Prahran Market, and of course those tissue paper pom poms that I had Pinterested the previous week (never again.)

The food was a hit because it was all ordered from Phillippa's (God bless you Phillippa's!!) and we drank copious amounts of Prosecco. The only downside was that I didn't get to enjoy any part of the party or talk to many people because I was heating up dozens and dozens of gorgeous sausage rolls that people couldn't seem to get enough of.

This year I vow to do things differently. Simplify. Not only will be just inviting Z's nearest and dearest plus her little cousins but I will plan it properly in advance and it will be themed. I'm thinking Dora. And the cake will be from Woolworths. Maybe we'll all be able to actually enjoy it this time as opposed to running about like headless chickens. And sausage rolls will be a must have! I will also not make the same mistake of underordering. Who knew people loved sausage rolls so much?!!

1 comment: